Stitched

a collective of artists working with the process of stitching

Wednesday 5 June 2013

Slow textiles





I guess you've heard of the Slow Food Movement? Well, I'm a firm believer in the Slow Textile Movement too... Where fibre is produced with minimum ecological impact, locally and sustainably.

Here I've handspun Portland fleece - from sheep that live 2 miles from me and dyed with buttercups - gathered in a meadow near my studio. Portland sheep are a rare breed in the UK local to this area with beautiful fleece. I dyed using the solar method (helped by the beautiful weather at the moment!) and I can't wait to use the finished yarn in a bigger piece for Somerset Art Weeks.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful colour emma :-)

Unknown said...

wow beautiful! amazing pictures as well Emma x